Tuesday, August 13, 2013

So...whatcha readin'?

Mary: 
I love summer.  Not just because I can sleep past 5am and eat homemade blueberry cake for breakfast and eschew stockings and makeup most days - though all of those things are truly fabulous.  No.  I love summer because I have time to read.  (Insert blissed-out sigh here.)

Oh sure, I find or make time to read during the school year, but summer is different.  Summer means the kind of reading I love to do...the kind when I disappear into the author's world for hours or days at a time. I stay in my nightgown until 10am because getting dressed means taking a break from reading. 
I eat lunch with a book open on the table next to me.   I feed my children pasta with butter because I'm too distracted to remember nutrition.  I stay up until 2am because I can't bring myself to put it down.  I dream about the characters.  I love reading of all kinds, but I really really love going all in. 

Erin: 
I couldn't agree more!  To give you an idea of what my summer reading looked like, here's a little story:  In July, I ventured to the fabulous Outer Banks where I spent almost every sun-lit minute sitting in the sand with my Kindle.  I'm sure there were lovely people on that trip.  I think I was related to some of them.  I know it would have been polite
Four books, seven days, one beach.
to talk a little more, to see some sights, maybe walk the beach...but this was my idea of a perfect vacation.  Uninterrupted hours knee-deep in another world.  After noticing my nerded-out bliss for the better part of the week, one twenty-something asked, "So, like how many books do you think you've read?  Like in your life, have you read a thousand?" At first I laughed at her inquiry, but she was serious.  All she had seen me do was: sit on the beach and read, sit on the plane and read, sit on the deck and read.  Didn't she understand?  This was what I had been dreaming of for weeks.  Before I had put a single item in my suitcase, I loaded my Kindle with books I had heard about - and not had the time to read - all year long.  It was heavenly.  And as much as I look forward to getting back to my students, what I miss most about summer is the time to read (and Mary's blueberry cake.)


And, perhaps more importantly, whatcha readin'? Please comment and tell us the best thing you've read this summer.
 
Mary's Summer Reading - so far
The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman
The Fault in Our Stars - John Green
The Best Man - Kristan Higgins (don't judge me)
A Long Walk to Water - Linda Sue Park
Holes - Louis Sachar
The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells - Andrew Sean Greer
The Selection and The Elite - Kiera Cass
Smile - Raina Telgemeier

Erin's Summer Reading
The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman
Divergent - Veronica Roth 
The Astronaut Wives Club - Lily Koppel
Me Before You - Jojo Moyes
The Engagements - J. Courtney Sullivan
Life As We Knew It - Susan Beth Pfeffer
The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells - Andrew Sean Greer
Elsewhere - Gabrielle Zevin 

Mary & Erin
@mzcotillo @allinoleary

9 comments:

  1. I also read THE FAULT IN OUR STARS and DIVERGENT this summer. I tore through ELEANOR & PARK like nobody's business. Currently I'm listening to THE INTERESTINGS on audiobook (Mary, I think you'd love it) and reading WILD AWAKE, which someone on FB recommended. I wish there were more reading hours in the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the second person to recommend ELEANOR & PARK. I have to read it! Also, I just got an email from Simmons College - the author will be receiving the Horn book award in October...sounds like an awesome event that crazy reading ladies would love...

      Delete
    2. Holy cow! That's pretty cool. Sometimes I really miss Boston's literary offerings...

      Delete
  2. Lara, off topic, but...
    Why do you put your book titles in all caps? Is that ALA style?
    I could look it up, but I'm gonna ask you instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an accepted convention of writing for the Internet, because itals are a pain in the you-know-what. Some use AP style (newspaper), which call for quotation marks for all titles. We don't follow AP, and while we follow APA in books/journals, that doesn't work for web writing.

      Delete
  3. The Book Thief by Zusak was my favorite book this summer. Such a great story. Will stay with me forever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read (and own) all of Kristan Higgins' books. They're the first thing I read when the school year ends or I finish a grad class. They help me clear my head a bit. Plus, I think she's a hilarious person. No judgement from me!!

    The best book I have read this summer was The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is *so* true! Books are guilty pleasures too. A book by a favorite author is still my reward for just about anything. Miss Smith, you may have inspired another post! I have the Haddon book in my classroom - it was pretty popular with the 8th graders this year. Another must read for me, apparently!

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh, I almost feel guilty to post what I have been reading. My list is nowhere near that size for the year, much less the summer. With three kids at home, I hardly get enough peace and quiet to read anything anymore.

    For Summer, what I have been working on:

    "Wool" by Hugh Howey (done!)
    "Shift" by Hugh Howey (just started)
    "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" by Susanna Clarke (About 1/3 of the way through)
    "Something Wicked This Way Comes" by Bradbury (half-way through)

    Yes. That's it. Don't judge me!

    --Clint

    ReplyDelete