Monday, August 5, 2013

Confessions of a Literary Dork

I am a dork.  

No, it's okay.  I'm not prompting to you to disagree.  This is not the intellectual equivalent of whining "I'm so fat."   I really am a dork.  
I use whilst and cloying in informal conversation and use SAT vocab with my 6 year old son.  I have quotations from Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet tattooed on my wrist and ankle respectively.  I know how to use the word respectively.


Just another Monday night.
My dorkiness is nothing new; I was born into it.  My forestry major father took two semesters of Shakespeare for fun.  My mother quoted Macbeth while cooking soup, and our dinnertime conversation was peppered with "the lady doth protest too much, methinks."  After we had "dined to an adequate sufficiency," we'd adjourn to the living room where we listened to the Les Miserable soundtrack on cassette tape and huddled around the libretto to learn every line.

One summer when I was 13 or 14, my sister and I spent hours paddling our old family canoe around a lake, quizzing each other with quotations from The Belgariad by David Eddings.  You know...for fun.

Yeah, I've been a dork for most of my life.  But it's only been in the past 3 or 4 years that I've really started to own it.    

It's a scary thing, to publicly declare your love for something.  You risk criticism, disagreement, even condemnation.  What you love may not be conventional or acceptable or (gasp) cool.  Oh, it's okay to declare your love for football or Disney or the Republican Party.  But when you love science, or reading, or the original West End production of Martin Guerre, well...let's just say it's harder to put that kind of love on a T shirt.

In retrospect, it is quite the rack.
I remember being 14 and discovering that a boy in my class also read David Eddings.  My joy was boundless.   I'd made a connection.  Here was someone who liked what I liked, someone with whom to share a whole world!  I found out I had read farther in the series than he and practically tripped over myself to loan him the next book.  We were in Social Studies and he was sitting in the back with his buddies.  I handed him the book and stood looking at him, waiting impatiently to begin bonding over King of the Murgos, and he, conscious of all the male eyes on him, gestured to the artwork on the cover and grumbled "Who's the chick with the rack?"  I was disappointed, but part of me understood.  It wasn't cool to like a book, and I shouldn't have exposed him like that in front of his friends. 

Imagine what that must be like.  To have a love - a true burning passion for something - but not be able to share it.  The frustration and embarrassment I felt then is still with me 23 years later, but more than anything else I feel sorry for that boy.  He had an opportunity to connect with someone who loved what he loved, but he had to save face in front of his friends.   

I don't want my classroom to be a place where one feels the need to save face.  I want my classroom to be a safe haven for love.  And here's how I try to do it.  

I call myself a Literary Dork.  I have action figures of Edgar Allan Poe and Shakespeare and Jane Austen hanging in place of pride at the front of the room.  I recite soliloquies in class every time we hit Vocab Lesson 2 Exercise B.  I sing show tunes and quote Robert Frost and sigh dramatically whilst recounting my unrequited love for Edward Fairfax Rochester.  I confess in hushed tones that I have a crush on Atticus Finch.  

And you know what?  They eat it up.  They encourage me.  They proudly bring me references to literature they've found in pop culture ("Ms. Cotillo!  Last night on iCarly there was  Saint Bernard named Buck!"). Because of my over-the-top behavior, my students know they can be excited about books and music and poetry.  But the love bubble isn't literacy exclusive.  Girls talk about boys; boys talk about cell phone specs.  We talk fantasy football and travel soccer and history day projects.  In my room, it's okay to be excited about the things that make you happy.  It's okay to let that passion connect you to others.  It's good to be a dork. 
See.  It's official. 


Mary
@mzcotillo  

10 comments:

  1. I'm usually the guy who tells people that the movie "Strange Brew" is just "Hamlet" with Bob and Doug MacKenzie playing Rosencrantz and Guildenstern as the protagonists.

    --Clint H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clint - you were in the class I referenced! You were not the boy. But I suppose you know that.

      Imagine the dorky adventures we might have had...

      Delete
  2. :) Mary, if my guess is right on who the boy was, you probably dodged that bullet. As for me, it took me a long time to find my geek-zen. My continuous attempts at becoming a writer gave me the better appreciation of reading--it was something my English degree didn't even do.

    I've never read Eddings myself, but I'm always open to suggestions on good books. At 14, I was likely more into playing Nintendo and watching cartoons than I was reading. Ah, talk about a misspent youth! I've never read Kipling, but I still know the Animaniacs song by heart.

    :Sadly and pathetically shakes fist at the sky:

    But it's never too late for dorky adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! We should plan a field trip!

      Speaking of suggestions, did I ever thank you for recommending North and South? I believe you recommended the BCC mini-series, which I watched and loved. (*swoon*) But I also read the book and enjoyed that very much, too. So, thanks!

      I don't know how well Eddings will stand up now. At 14 it was the best. thing. ever. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you do read it. I may just have to revisit it myself.

      Delete
  3. Glad you liked North and South. We watch it about every six months around here. Just a wonderful movie. I didn't even know there was a book.

    As far as fantasy epics go, I lost myself in Westeros years ago, and can't even bear to return to the doorstops of Robert Jordan. Not after GRRM drilled a hole into my skull and poured his world into my brain.

    Since you are a Hunger Games fan, I also recommend Hugh Howey's novel, "Wool." I just finished reading it tonight and was blown away. Just a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that may be my new good-author-litmus-test. Did they drill a hole into my skull and pour their world into my brain?

    I'm looking for something to read right now, so Wool is about to be downloaded. (Kindle version is *free?* Can that be right?)

    Thanks again, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It might just be the first section of Wool if it's free. Howey published the book online as a serial originally, then a publisher picked it up and compiled it into one novel. The entire book is probably around $6. Happy reading! And you are welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm proud to have reveled in dorkiness with you even way back when. I loved that we could enjoy theater together, that you understood why I loved so many things, that we could have a conversation about it being cool you had family near Sarah Orne Jewitt's birthplace. I too took Shakespeare for fun (as a bio major) and now I am in the process of helping my 8 year old make a family tree of characters from Greek mythology. And the dorkiness plays on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trina,

      Excellent! My daughter also loves Greek mythology. Is your mythology fan too young for Percy Jackson? Anna loves the Percy Jackson series, and there are enough of them now that they span Greek, Roman, and Egyptian mythology. We read them together, and I think I like them as much as she does.

      I think you highlight at important idea, one I danced around but didn't specifically state: the dorks of yesterday must make the cool kids of tomorrow. Embracing the word "dork" isn't enough; we have to teach kids that it's cool to love all kinds of things.

      I'm glad to be in such fabulous company. :)

      Delete
  7. No, you are not a dork, infact you are very intelligent. I mean who would read amazing authors and call herself a dork. You are you and that is what makes you special.

    ReplyDelete